What is Star fruit?
Star fruit is also known as Carambola. Star Fruit is a quite unique fruit in the family of fruits. It has distinctive rims coming through its sides (usually 5 or 6 in number). And their cross-section is very much similar to a star, which is why these are called starfruit. Interestingly, each part of the fruit is edible; you may juice it, add it to salad, use it as a garnish, preserve it (by making jam, jelly, etc.), or even cook it with seafood. It is commonly available throughout Southeast Asia, South Pacific, Micronesia, East Asia, etc.
Star fruits are tropical fruits that have a star-shaped cross-section and a sweet and sour taste. They are also known as carambola and come in different varieties. Some of the benefits and risks of star fruits are:
- They are low in calories but high in fiber and vitamin C, which can support your immune system and digestive health.
- They contain antioxidants and other plant compounds that may have anti-inflammatory, anti-cholesterol, and anti-cancer effects. However, more human studies are needed to confirm these benefits.
- They may cause kidney damage and neurological problems in people with kidney issues or who take certain medications, due to their high oxalate content. Therefore, these people should avoid star fruits or consult with their doctor before eating them.
Star fruits can be eaten raw or cooked, and they can be used to make salads, juices, jams, pies, and other dishes. They have a mild flavor that can complement both sweet and savory foods. You can also find star fruit products online or in some specialty stores.
Some tips on how to enjoy star fruits are:
- Choose ripe star fruits that are yellow with brown edges and have a fragrant smell. Avoid green or overripe fruits that are brown or shriveled.
- Wash the star fruits well and cut off the ends. You can eat the skin or peel it off if you prefer. Cut the fruit into thin slices along the ridges to get the star shape.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice or salt on the star fruit slices to enhance their flavor and prevent browning.
- Enjoy the star fruit slices as a snack or add them to your salads, yogurt, cereal, or smoothies. You can also cook them with sugar, honey, or spices to make a delicious jam or sauce.
Benefits and Nutrients Check
Fresh star fruit possesses plenty of nutrients like fiber and vitamin C. And we all know that fiber is very much conducive to the proper functioning of the digestive system. Whereas the latter helps boost our body’s immunity, accordingly. Other nutrient content may include protein, vitamin B5, copper, potassium, magnesium, and more. They are also a rich source of certain other substances like gallic acid and epicatechin that have very powerful antioxidant properties.
In short, you may be reluctant if you have not tried yet. But believe us fresh starfruit loaded with vitamin C and various other nutrients is too delicious to avoid. Nevertheless, as a precautionary measure people suffering from kidney diseases must consult their doctor prior to eating it.
Star Fruit where to buy from
If you are residing in U.A.E and you want to buy star fruit. Here is a solution for you. FreshLeaf is all there to serve you. As FreshLeaf is striving to deliver fresh and healthy, fruits and vegetables to its customers at the most competitive prices of the town among all fruits and vegetables suppliers. As a matter of fact, our range of high-quality and exotic vegetables and fruit products also includes starfruit. You just need to contact us and we will deliver you fresh and healthy fruits and vegetable stock as per your order.
To know more about fresh and healthy fruits and vegetables, please keep in touch with us till our next blog!